The Outage and Availability Reporting System was developed in
support of the availability requirements that installations are
writing into Service Level Agreements (SLAs). Typically, such
SLAs include an availability clause. The Outage and Availability
Reporting System includes:
- the ability to define users at varying levels of detail
- User hierarchies can be defined to represent the installation's
internal organization. The hierarchies can be used to represent
departments, offices, or even individual users. These represent
political, more than technical hierarchies. The Outage and
Availability Reporting System refers to the highest users
as "Physical Sites".
- Users have calendars and service level targets, not the
hardware or software items. Users are linked to items. In
this way the criticality of items is determined based on the
service levels of the users. It is dynamic, as users are added
or their service levels change the service levels of items
- the ability to define hardware and software items
- Item hierarchies can be defined. These represent the technical
relationships within a network or a software system. When
an outage occurs on an item, all other items that are dependent
on the first item also have an outage.
- Predefined calendars to represent when a user requires "prime"
- The ability to define any additional calendars as required
to represent user requirements
- Users can have different calendars for host-based activities
and for lan-based or local activities
- Holidays can be entered into the system. These effect all
users and all hardware and software items. An outage during
a holiday period is considered a non-prime outage.
- Outages are entered in relationship to hardware and software
items, not to users.
- 'Pre-planned outages' can be entered. Outages during these
periods are reported as non-prime time outages. The item hierarchy
is used so that 'Pre-planned outages' are propagated through
the system. That is when a hub has a scheduled outage, all
hardware attached to the hub also has the pre-planned outage.
- To assist the help desk a table is available to look up
all the hardware and software items that is used by the user.
Monday, 7 October, 2002